Q. What are the main priorities of the Fueling Innovation campaign and why is each important?
A. Endowed chairs drive the reputation and productivity of the university. Philanthropy enables us to fund endowed chairs in all of the colleges to increase prestige and help recruit outstanding faculty members, and provides the resources they need to succeed.
Scholarships allow us to continue our mission of ensuring accessibility for merit and need based students, and builds an academic climate where students inspire and challenge one another.
The Innovation Center is a priority because it brings all the creative elements of our educational experience together in a centralized facility to promote the basic elements of innovation and transition new ideas into products and processes.
Revitalizing core campus buildings is a vital component of the campaign. Aging classrooms and laboratories must be renovated to provide spaces designed to encourage scientific inquiry and innovative and entrepreneurial thinking.
Q. What is the dollar goal to fund these priorities?
A. We'll need to raise $250 million in this campaign. To meet this goal, we need our alumni and friends to stretch to make the largest gift they can. Gifts of ALL sizes are important; each gift from an alumnus is a statement of belief and a vote of confidence in IIT and is critical to our future success. Make a gift today.
Q. What is the timeline for the campaign?
A. The Leadership Phase began with the trustees' approval in June 2010; the public campaign launch occurred February 7 and 8, 2013, and was rolled out at events throughout 2013. The campaign is expected to continue through 2016.
Q. Who are the campaign leaders?
A. Campaign Co-Chairs Joel Krauss (MATH '71) and John W. Rowe share the president's vision for what is needed to transform IIT. They have personally made generous campaign gifts to support that vision, and recruited other volunteers to ensure the campaign is successful in raising $250 million, building alumni pride and building future leadership.
Q. Why Fueling Innovation?
A. Fueling Innovation is the perfect phrase to describe the distinct IIT education and the passion that drives IIT students, faculty, alumni and friends to go beyond the ordinary. This campaign is an opportunity to show how IIT people have impacted the world through innovation and demonstrate how your support can propel IIT into the top tier of the world's technology-focused, innovation-centered universities while helping to provide solutions to the global challenges of the future.
Q. How can I get involved in the Fueling Innovation campaign?
A. There are lots of ways to be involved:
- Advocate for IIT, raising the university's visibility by talking to others about how we are fueling innovation and connecting IIT programs to donors and corporate or research partners.
- Recommend great students and volunteer with the alumni admissions ambassador program.
- Tell us how you are fueling innovation by submitting your story. Send us your innovation along with your name, IIT major, and class year to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Involve fellow alumni or friends in the campaign and help identify prospective volunteers and donors.
- Host a campaign event in your home, place of work, or other interesting location. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Work with the IIT Office of Institutional Advancement to help solicit others for gifts.
- Make a gift to the campaign, demonstrating your belief in the university and creating a bright future for IIT students.